Membership now open!
Join Now For Membership to September 2024!
The NIAAS is very much an active society, we are a group of people who meet monthly and share an interest in astronomy and its related subjects.
We regularly meet up at our observing site for a chat, a laugh and most importantly to observe the night sky. Throughout the season, amateur and professional astronomers are invited to speak at the monthly meetings where members can expand their knowledge of astronomy and meet new people.
All are very welcome to join the Norhern Ireland Amateur Astronomy Society, no matter if you are a complete beginner or experienced observer – we are here to help you. You do not need to live locally, though attendance at meetings is encouraged as you get to enjoy the sense of family and friendship of our members.
Ages range from 8-80 and everyone is made welcome to the society. Please note: Under 16’s must be accompanied by an adult to all events (Child Protection Policy).
- Membership is paid at the start of each year being from September – August.
- Members are entitled to free entry to all NIAAS events for one year including monthly meetings and any public events that are arranged.
- Throughout the year members are kept informed via the website, email and social media about astronomical events, observing evenings, barbeques, and public events.
- Under 16 members are very welcome but must be accompanied by an adult to all events (Child Protection Policy).
- By joining us, your money goes towards bringing the joy of astronomy to the wider community.
Associate members who cannot attend meetings can choose to have the society newsletter posted to them bi monthly. It contains the latest astronomical news, astronomy articles and photos by our members.
Suggested Annual Membership Donation
Under 16s and over 65 (Membership to Sept 2024) = £10
Single Adult ( 16-65 ) (Membership to Sept 2024) = £25
Family membership (Membership to Sept 2024) = £40
Associate membership (Membership to Sept 2024) = £15
How to pay:
The easiest way of joining, is to just come along to one of our meetings and see the Treasurer or any committee member and we will be more than happy to get you signed up.
Or, if you live in the U.K. you can join up right now by clicking this Paypal link:
Every year the members elect a committee. The current committee consists of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, and three committee members, but all the members assist when it is required, such as helping at public events.
The main aims as set out in our constitution:
- To promote and encourage amateur astronomy in the local and wider community.
- To promote and encourage activities related to the control of light pollution.
- To provide mutual help amongst members with problems relating to astronomy.
- To promote and organise events for the interest and enjoyment of members and the general public.
- To carry out any additional activities as may be necessary in the opinion of the Committee for the attainment of all or any of the foregoing purposes.